While it is easy to mourn the loss of a friend, family member, colleague, or even our greatest sports hero, I often like to take time to remember and celebrate the life that was. Here, in this post, I present to you a collection of Deacon Jones Greatest Hits. (Youtube Videos are not mine)
Jones is best remembered as being a member of the famed and frightening “Fearsome Foursome” on the Rams defensive line. A master of the quarterback rush, Jones is also credited with coining the term “sack”. Jones died of natural causes Tuesday morning at the age of 74. He may be gone, but Jones’ presence will be forever felt in the NFL.
Jones touched the lives of many in the sports community. Here are some tweets from sportscasters and other athletes regarding the great defensive end.
Deacon Jones filled my childhood and adolescent years in LA with vivid pictures of greatness. I thanked him every time I saw him. RIP 75
— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) June 4, 2013
Sat w Deacon on shuttle at golf tourney yrs ago and listened for an hour as he described sack after sack. It was freakin awesome! — Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer) June 4, 2013
No one was more fun to sit with and talk football than Deacon Jones. One of the all time great players and characters. #RIP
— Mike Greenberg (@Espngreeny) June 4, 2013
I remember when Gruden had the great Deacon Jones come talk 2 the team he was such a inspiration I wanted 2go play right after he got done
— Donald Penn (@DPENN70) June 4, 2013
Deacon Jones, who has left us after 74 Hall-of-Fame years, was a Man’s man as well as The Man. May he rest in peace.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 4, 2013
Heros get remembered, but legends never die. Rest In Peace, Deacon Jones.
- Deacon Jones Dies (fox8.com)
- Deacon Jones Passes Away at 74 (turfshowtimes.com)
- Hall of Famer Deacon Jones dies at 74 years old (cbssports.com)
- NFL Hall of Famer Deacon Jones dies (fox5sandiego.com)
- Buccaneers players react to Deacon Jones’ passing (bucsnation.com)
- NFL Hall of Famer Deacon Jones Dead at the Age of 74 (blacksportsonline.com)
- Redskins ‘Sackmaster’ Deacon Jones Dies (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Feared Hall of Fame sack artist Deacon Jones dies at 74 (triblive.com)
- NFL’s Deacon Jones Dies (foxnews.com)
- Deacon Jones, 1938-2013 (espn.go.com)