According to NBC Sports, Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg is eyeing to pitch this coming Saturday against the Minnesota Twins. Strasburg was taken out of last Friday’s game after straining his lat. Continue reading
…And not in a good way.
Yesterday, it was announced that Nationals reliever Ryan Mattheus will be out with a broken right-pitching-hand. Following a five run inning in Sundays losing effort to the Padres, Mattheus reportedly stormed into the clubhouse and proceeded to punch a locker with said hand. He broke a bone near the fourth knuckle.
According to Amanda Comak, Mattheus waited until yesterday, Monday, to tell anybody that his hand was hurting. After playing catch and seeing his hand swell up, that’s when he went to pitching coach Steve McCatty and told him what had happened.
As of right now, there is no time table for when Mattheus will return. For the time being, Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have had to call up to fresh arms from Triple A Syracuse to take Mattheus’ place. To make room for both pitchers, outfielder Eury Perez was sent back down to Syracuse. This move will at least give Davey Johnson a couple more arms to choose from since relieve Zach Duke is currently in the starting rotation to replace an ailing Ross Detwiler (back).
In other Nationals injury news, Jayson Werth won’t see action for what could end up being another couple of weeks. According to Adam Kilgore, a recent MRI has shown that the strain in the outfielders hamstring could be more severe than everyone once thought. The report goes on to say that Werth could likely see two more weeks on the disabled list.
The outfield will look much the same as it has been the past couple of weeks. Steven Lombardozzi, Tyler Moore, and Roger Bernadina could all be seeing time in left field with Denard Span in centerfield and Bryce Harper in right field.
For the Nationals, the injury bug has been plaguing them all season long and it has been affecting some key players on the roster. If the Nationals want to turn their season, which is still above .500 and only 3.5 games out of first in the NL East, they’re going to have to find a way to get guys healthy and get them back out on the field fast.
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker (kansascity.com)
- Nats’ Mattheus breaks hand punching locker (espn.go.com)
- Nats Reliever Breaks Hand Punching Locker; Werth Not Healing As Hoped (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker (miamiherald.com)
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker (charlotteobserver.com)
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker (cnsnews.com)
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker (seattletimes.com)
- CSN: Nats’ Matheus breaks hand punching locker (csnwashington.com)
- Nats P Mattheus has broken right hand (myrtlebeachonline.com)